|Team Tobati News|
Team Tobatí members throughout the United States and Paraguay work throughout the year to help the poor of Tobatí, Paraguay by strengthening the town's medical and educational infrastructures available to the impoverished majority. The following are a few highlights within the team's recent efforts and upcoming events:
- Over 80 KO students, alums, and teachers left for Paraguay on March 11, 2012 as part of Team Tobati's 14th annual community service trip to Tobati, Paraguay.
- Ben Elliott (class of 2004) and Darren Lefrenier (class of 2003) have moved to Tobatí to work at the Macchi School for one year. Ben is serving as director of the school while Darren is teaching English classes and helping with many programs.
- Team Tobatí undertook its first ever all adult service trip to Paraguay in July 2008. The summer adult team consisted of 10 K-O parents, faculty, and alumni. Everyone had a great time and did a lot of good work.
- Team Tobatí 2008 had an extremely successful community service trip to Tobati, Paraguay. This latest version of the team consisted of over 130 students, faculty, alumni, and UCONN who all worked extremely hard on numerous projects and programs.
- Brian Ferguson (K-O class of 2000) and Abby Kerin (K-O class of 2003) have returned to the United States after a fantastic year of working in Tobatí. The two team members worked at the Macchi School and Education Center. Both Brian and Abby are veterans of three community service trips to Tobati and served as chaperones during the team's latest March community service trips. Brian served as director of the institute while Abby taught English and helped out with numerous programs. Go to the Macchi school section of the website read more about the school and see Abby's pictures.
- In March 2007, over 125 K-O students, teachers, and alumni along with UCONN dentists traveled to Tobati, Paraguay for a two week service trip. The team worked on dozens of projects and programs, each of wich benefited the poor of Tobati, Paraguay.
- Team Founder, Ronald Garcia, was interviewed on Dec. 19, 2007 on NPR's Onpoint radio program to talk about Team Tobatí. Click to the right to hear the interview.
- In August 2006, Team Tobatí alumni and pediatricians from the Connecticut Children's Medical Center undertook a service trip to Tobatí. The small group worked hard on a series of projects and offering free clinics to the poor children of the region.
- From March 10-21 2006, 94 Kingswood-Oxford high school students, 14 K-O faculty, 2 alumni, and 2 pediatricians made up the 112 members of Team Tobatí X. This was the team's 10th community service trip to Tobatí and also the most ambitious. As well as being the team's largest group of volunteers, this trip also had the longest list of projects and programs. The trip was a fantastic success with all the team members working very hard alongside a number of Paraguayan volunteers to help the poor of the region.
- In early March 2006, a small group of dentists and dental students from UCONN medical school traveled to Tobatí to perform a series of free dental clinics in poor villages throughout the district of Tobatí.
|IN THIS SECTION|
|UPENN service trip|
|Click for photos|
|2004 service trip|
|click for photos|